Last edited: May 2023
Contacts are stored in Dynamics as individual records. They are linked to Licensed Organisations (LOs) using a property called LO Positions. Contact details are linked to eDofE. Where this is the case, you will see that the eDofE ID field contains the linked eDofE ID number.
Why do I have the option to merge contacts when I open up a contact in Dynamics?
Duplicate contacts are caused by a previous integration of Dynamics with the fundraising team.
It can also happen because the current integration has some issues.
Solution - Only 1 or 2 duplicate records
- Check each potential duplicate record by clicking on the contact name.
- If the record does not contain an eDofE ID number and LO position, you can merge it with any record that does.
- If there are two records, each with a different eDofE ID number, this is because the contact has multiple eDofE accounts. In this case we cannot merge them.
Solution - Many duplicate records
- If the duplicates are the same name and email address, please email email@example.com and the Dynamics Support Team will investigate.
- Sometimes a leader will add their email address to participants and these accounts will be pulled through to Dynamics. You will see this in the form of many names sharing the same email address. If you find this, contact support and they will look into it.
How do I merge two contacts in Dynamics?
- If Dynamics tells you that there are duplicate records, check that the two records are indeed the same person.
- Select in the space to the left of the name and a tick will appear.
- Click Merge at the bottom of the pop-up.
- You will then be asked to choose which details you want to keep in the main record.
- When you have done this, click OK.
- If in doubt, click Cancel and contact the Dynamic Support Team.