It's now clear that the long-lasting effects of the COVID-19 pandemic will mean LOs will face real barriers in delivering 'traditional' expeditions for some time. To help, we've introduced a number of temporary changes to our expedition requirements that are in effect until 31st July 2021. You can find out more about the changes here.
Direct to non-direct entrants
As per the DofE programme rules, a participant can embark on the next Award level when they have:
- completed at least one section (and had this approved by a Leader)
- reached the minimum age requirements for the next level.
If a participant starts their next level before they have fully completed the lower level (i.e. start Silver before Bronze has been completely finished), they will be added as a direct entrant. As a direct entrant, participants are required to complete an additional six months of either the Volunteering section or the longer of the Physical or Skills section.
However, in light of the temporary changes, if a Bronze or Silver participant has completed their Skills, Physical and Volunteering sections – achieving the 2020 DofE Certificate of Achievement – any adult with the “Can adjust participant's enrolment and section dates” permission allowed can switch a participant from a direct to non-direct entrant when they start the next Award level. You can find out how to do this here.
Counting a Silver practice as a Bronze qualifying expedition
The DofE has introduced a temporary change that allows participants to count a Silver practice expedition as a Bronze qualifying expedition. eDofE does not allow multiple expeditions to be recorded on the same date. To facilitate this flexibility, we have laid out some instructions below. For this to be most effective, we encourage Leaders where possible to enter this information into eDofE on behalf of participants.
Bronze Expedition section
- Mark Bronze expedition training as complete (with the correct date as normal)
- Add Bronze qualifying expedition information. The following information can be used to enter the expedition:
- Start date: [Date entered must be after the participant’s enrolment date and should be at least two days before the start date that will be entered for the Silver practice expedition]
- Wild country: select [no]
- Expedition location: Bronze/Silver hybrid
- Expedition start point: XX 999 999
- Expedition aim: COVID-19 hybrid Bronze/Silver expedition
- Add Bronze expedition assessor report. Please use the following text: “This was a hybrid Bronze/Silver expedition due to COVID-19. Additional information can be viewed under the Silver practice expedition.”
- The Expedition section at Bronze can now be (directly) approved.
Silver Expedition section
If not added already, the Silver Award level can be added to the participant's profile (assuming they meet the age rules).
- Add Silver expedition training information.
- Add Silver practice expedition information. Please enter the correct details for the expedition that was completed. Remember that the start date must be after the last day of the Bronze expedition that was recorded. The Silver expedition must also be after the Silver enrolment date for the participant.
- Add Assessor's Report for Bronze qualifying/Silver practice expedition – please mark this as ‘evidence’ and not as an Assessor’s Report. This must be a statement from the Supervisor on the Silver practice expedition confirming the practice has been completed and used for the participant’s Bronze Award, and that the outcomes of the Expedition section have been met as best they can.
Q: My team will be completing their expedition using some of the temporary changes. How do I record this on eDofE?
A: The use of the Silver practice expedition as the Bronze qualifying expedition should be recorded in eDofE using the guidance above. The use of any other temporary expedition changes should be mentioned in the Silver practice expedition evidence.
Q: For Gold expeditions, do I need to make up a notification number if we’re not going to wild country?
A: No, there is no need to make up a notification number. Please just select ‘no’ next to ‘wild country’ when setting up the expedition on eDofE.
Q: My team completed some of their expedition training online at home. Do I need to upload evidence of this?
A: No, the only requirement is that the training completion date is recorded. However, participants may wish to upload additional evidence to their Expedition section e.g. screenshots or certificates.